RMDocument Visibility

I have written the code as described in book (Chapter 8 The RaiseMan Application). When I build, i get no errors however I do not see any view/window. Ho do I get the RMDocument.xib to “show”?

When you click on the icon in the Mac OS X dock, does the window appear? Is an exception occurring? You can check in the debug output to see.

Clicking the icon in dock does nothing. I get the build messages in Xcode and the build seems successful except there is no program view. Only the Xcode program running. I do get the menu and can stop the program using the File -> Close menu items.

I tried changing the Main Interface in the Build summary but program chokes when I try to build.

I am not sure how I make the RMDocument.xib show on startup?

I placed NSLog in every method and tried following via the step-in debugger to no avail. I finally started over from scratch and have it working. Not sure what original problem was bout it bothers me I couldn’t find it or figure it out.

Thanks for you assist.

PS - Enjoying the book.

Glad you got it figured out, and glad you’re enjoying the book. :slight_smile: There are a lot of settings to be made. Sometimes, starting out, it’s easy to miss one step, or tick the wrong checkbox, and it can be very difficult to find where that misstep was. In time you’ll pick up more of the cues, however, in finding what’s going wrong.

[quote=“TheGreatKO”]I placed NSLog in every method and tried following via the step-in debugger to no avail. I finally started over from scratch and have it working. Not sure what original problem was bout it bothers me I couldn’t find it or figure it out.

Thanks for you assist.

PS - Enjoying the book.[/quote]

For what it’s worth, I think this is a bug in Xcode. I’ve had the same thing happen where I launch the app by hitting Cmd-R, the menubar changes, I can see the icon in the dock, but I don’t get any associated window open. Then if I re-launch Xcode and hit Cmd-R once again everything works as expected.

I had/have the same issue and believe it must be Xcode. I developed the code according to the steps in the book, but I too did not get the screen to pop up. I downloaded the code from the book site and was able to execute it without issue - the window appeared. I went through checking vs. my project and noticed the difference of OS X Deployment target was set to 10.7. I changed this in the downloaded book code to be 10.9, and retried. Having this setting caused the downloaded book code to behave the same way - no window. The total bummer is that I put it back to 10.7 but it still does not work :frowning: I’ve tried exiting Xcode and retrying but it still “fails”. I don’t want to rebuild from scratch as I know the downloaded book code did work. I’m not familiar with all the switches and levers that could be tinkered with in order for this to work again. I have Xcode 5.0.2 and Mavericks. Enjoying the book so far.

Well, this makes it interesting, but don’t understand the mechanics of it. Basically, while the RaiseMan app is running (and the window does not appear), if I choose the menu option to Hide RaiseMan, then double click the icon on the dock, when it does come back up the window shows. Go figure.

I encountered the same issue, with Xcode 5. After some frustration and experimentation, it seems to have something to do with a preference that’s remembered when closing or opening the application. Sometimes when I closed the first RMDocument window and hard-stopped debugging, on running again no window would pop up. When quitting normally it would.

Creating a new document always brought up a new RMDocument window though.