Running a command-line program from Terminal

The book say:

[quote]If you are running this from bash, you could just type in the arguments on the command line.
$ Affirmation Aaron 4
[/quote]

When I do this, I get the following error:

If there’s a particular directory I need to be in in order to run the command, I can’t figure out what it is. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks! Love the book.

I was able to run it successfully from terminal by using the full crazy-long path to Affirmation:

$ ./Users/Myname/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/Affirmation-bjjnqsedfsrcnifhouurxomdhuwg/Build/Products/Debug/Affirmation Aaron 4

But surely this cannot be the only way. Right?

If you are in the same directory as the program, you don’t need to type in the full path; just enter the program’s name preceded by a “./” (a dot and a back slash),
like this:
./Affirmation Aaron 4

Alternatively you can modify the search list, but there is no real reason to do so.

ibex10,

Thanks for your response. cd’ing through that insane directory structure is just as cumbersome. Is that truly the directory I need to run the program from? There isn’t some other simpler path that xcode builds to?

I don’t know what you mean by “modify the search list”.

Oops: that should have been path search list.

Yes. However, you don’t have to descend that long-winding path manually; Xcode can take you there with one click; then you can open the Terminal application from the Finder very easily.

In Xcode’s Navigator’s Pane, under Products, select the executable; show the File Inspector, and click on the tiny navigation arrow (at the end of the Full Path) to land in the directory; then go one level up in the Finder, and then Command-click on the Debug or Release and select New Terminal at Folder from the Finder menu that pops up; a terminal window should open; do ls; you should see your program now.

[quote=“ibex10”]
In Xcode’s Navigator’s Pane, under Products, select the executable; show the File Inspector, and click on the tiny navigation arrow (at the end of the Full Path) to land in the directory; then go one level up in the Finder, and then Command-click on the Debug or Release and select New Terminal at Folder from the Finder menu that pops up; a terminal window should open; do ls; you should see your program now.[/quote]
Do you mean Control-click (to get the contextual menu) here? That option New Terminal at Folder is not listed for me. I just dragged and dropped the executable into the Terminal window for the same effect, but I don’t seem to have the same contextual menu items that you do.

You are right: that should be Control-click.

As for the New Terminal at Folder item, you need to enable it in the Finder’s Services menu.

Aha, hidden away in the Keyboard pane of System Preferences. Nice.