Setting the UTI in xCode 4

Does anyone know how to set up the ZIPspector application to use the com.pkware.zip-archive UTI in xCode 4?

The Apple Documentation that I find is useless. I have tried doing it as a document type and as a Imported UTI, I must be missing something. The best I can do it setting it as a document type I can attempt to open a .zip file, but then I get the error “The document “FPL_FES_config.zip” could not be opened. ZIPspector cannot open files in the “ZIP archive” format.”

Well despite it frustrating me for hours to the point that I resorted to asking a question of a forum, I couldn’t let it go. After a couple more hours of unhelpful documentation and trial and error I have answered my own question.

For anyone else who has this problem, when you set a ‘Document Type’ in Xcode 4, you can set ‘Additional document type properties’. If you add the property ‘Imported Type UTIs’ and specify an ‘Item’ with an ‘Identifier’ of com.pkware.zip-archive and say that it ‘Conforms to UTIs’ com.pkware.zip-archive, then it seems that your application will open and read .zip files.

This is the only combination I found that works. Using the separate (from ‘Document Types’) ‘Imported UTIs’ drop down did nothing useful for me and in the Document Types additional property I had to specify both ‘Identifier’ and ‘Conform to UTIs’ fields for it too work.

All the best.