Silver Challenge - working, but a question

Here is what I did for the Silver Challenge in chapter 4. I thought I that the best place to check to see if the device supported headings was in the init method, so I called the location manager’s “headingAvailable” method. There is a depricated property in older versions of OS that held a BOOL value of either YES or NO to tell you if the device supported headings, but that has been replaced with a class method called the same name. My XCode warns me that I’m calling a depricated property, and I don’t know how to fix that. But, I know the method is working because the device does start updating headings.

Next, I use the “startUpdatingHeading” method to tell the device to update the headings when available. If heading information is not available, the method is never reached. Next, I implemented the optional “didUpdateHeading” method and just tell it to give me an update when there is a new heading.

Here is the output from my iPhone 4S when tested on the device: “May 28 09:02:22 unknown Whereami[2188] : The new heading is magneticHeading 131.06 trueHeading 132.44 accuracy 10.00 x -15.028 y -14.350 z -48.395 @ 2012-05-28 14:02:22 +0000.” There are HUNDREDS of lines on the phone’s log for every little change in heading.

Am I doing something wrong in terms of the “headingAvailable” method?

Per the documentation,

So change your myHeading BOOL to

Whenever there is a deprecated method, the documentation will list it at the bottom in the Deprecated Methods section, and will let you know what to use instead, as quoted above.

In the silver challenge we need to find the heading direction. By reading on the manual, it says that in the case of a kCLErrorHeadingFailure we should: “you might want to stop updates for a short period of time and try again later”. How can I do this? By the way, my code for WhereamiViewController.m ends like this:

[code]#import “WhereamiViewController.h”

@implementation WhereamiViewController

• (id) initWithNibName:(NSString *)nibNameOrNil bundle:(NSBundle *)nibBundleOrNil{

self = [super initWithNibName:nibNameOrNil bundle:nibBundleOrNil];

if (self) {

//NSLog(@"Initialising location program");

locationManager = [[CLLocationManager alloc] init];

//[self doSomethingWeird];

[locationManager setDelegate:self];

[locationManager setDesiredAccuracy:kCLLocationAccuracyBest];

[locationManager startUpdatingLocation];

[locationManager setDistanceFilter:50.0];   //Bronze challenge

if ([CLLocationManager headingAvailable] == NO) {

NSLog(@"No Compass. This device does not have the ability to measure magnetic fields.");
      }else{

locationManager.headingFilter = 5;

[locationManager startUpdatingHeading];
      }

//NSLog(@"Location program running");

}

return self;
    }

• (void) locationManager:(CLLocationManager *) manager
    didUpdateToLocation:(CLLocation *) newLocation
    fromLocation:(CLLocation *) oldLocation {

NSLog(@"%@", newLocation);
    }

• (void) locationManager:(CLLocationManager *) manager
    didFailWithError:(NSError *)error{

if ([error code] == kCLErrorDenied) {
    // This error indicates that the user has denied the application’s request to use location services.
    [manager stopUpdatingHeading];
    [manager stopUpdatingLocation];
    } else if ([error code] == kCLErrorHeadingFailure) {
    // This error indicates that the heading could not be determined, most likely because of strong magnetic interference.
    NSLog(@“Could not find heading direction: %@”, error);
    } else if ([error code] == kCLErrorLocationUnknown) {
    // This error indicates that the heading could not be determined, most likely because of strong magnetic interference.
    NSLog(@“Could not find location: %@”, error);
    }
    }

-(void) locationManager:(CLLocationManager *) manager didUpdateHeading:(CLHeading *)newHeading{
NSLog(@"%@", newHeading);
}

/*

• (void) doSomethingWeird{
    NSLog(@“Line 1”);
    NSLog(@“Line 2”);
    NSLog(@“Line 3”);
    }*/

• (void) dealloc{
    [locationManager setDelegate:nil];
    }

@end[/code]