Silver Challenge

HI
I took a quite different approach:
I added a XIB file and set the BNRHypnosisView as it’s view.
Then you can the remove the “initWithFrame” completely from this view. Hoewver you must set the default circleColor int the controller:
Actually, if you do not remove this code it will not work, for you are in effect destroying the “old view” and making a new one.
You must also remove the load view function.

if(self)
    {
        BNRHypnosisView  *testView =  (BNRHypnosisView *)  self.view;
        testView.circleColor = [UIColor lightGrayColor];
        self.tabBarItem.title = @"Hypnotize";
        //Create a UIImage from a file
        //This will use the Hypno@2x.png on retina display devices
        UIImage *i = [UIImage imageNamed:@"Hypno.png"];
        //Put that image on the tab bar item
        self.tabBarItem.image = i;
    }

The you just drag a UISegmented control to the BNRHypnosisView, set the number of segments to 3 and give them their names.
And catch the action in the controller file:

[code]- (IBAction)setColor:(UISegmentedControl *)sender
{
NSLog(@“The object is %ld”, sender.selectedSegmentIndex);
BNRHypnosisView *drawView = (BNRHypnosisView *) self.view;
if (sender.selectedSegmentIndex == 0) {
drawView.circleColor = [UIColor redColor];
} else if( sender.selectedSegmentIndex == 1) {
drawView.circleColor = [UIColor greenColor];
}else if (sender.selectedSegmentIndex == 2)
{
drawView.circleColor = [UIColor blueColor];
}
[drawView setNeedsDisplay];

}
[/code]
You can of course omit the NSLog… I just made it to se if it worked. The trick is the “setNeedsDisplay”, which redraws the view with the new colour.

comments are welcome :unamused:

So, we can mix the programmatically created view with xib file. It sounds interesting.

Just one thing; setNeedsDisplay in setColor seems not necessary since setCircleColor already has it.

No, you do need the “setNeedDisplay”, as it implicitly calls the drawRect method. Otherwise nothing will happen, the view will not be updated.
PS: setColor is a bad name for the method as it uses the same syntax as Objective C it self uses for properties (setter methods). I have changed it to “updateColor”.
It did not mean anything here, but in other cases it might lead to very strange bugs.

As sunny4s pointed out, you don’t need setNeedsDisplay: here - This message should instead be sent in UIDrawView’s setCircleColor:.

Ahh, sorry you are quite right. Of course. No need to call it twice. Thanks both of you!