Spend days on Chapter 4 challenges or move forward?

Obj C book and this book have “made sense” up to the end of Chapter 4 and I’ve been able to figure everything out, complete challenges, etc. I’m stumped on both the bronze and gold challenges in this chapter, which is the first time where I’ve been in a “I have no ****ing idea where to start” position. My decision:

1. Do I stay futz around with the challenges until I get them working,
    or
  2. move on and hope they makes sense later?

The bronze challenge I can get the logo on the screen, but the scale is way too big. Gold–inordinate amount of time to figure it out, no idea where to start. Curious if other readers have found themselves in this position and if it’s made sense later. I’m feeling a bit discouraged at this point…does it get better?

If you have just started learning to write code, don’t feel bad. Make sure that you feel comfortable with the basic concepts first. Learning to fly a small aircraft confidently takes a couple of years. Learning to write code confidently is no different; it takes even longer.

i would recommend moving on, theres no use beating yourself up for days on end struggling with code. there are also peoples solutions posted that work fine. i recommend using those as a guide and stepping yourself through them. dont just copy what they write, but use their code and really understand what they are doing. most of the code for this gold challenge is actually in the book. i got stuck on how to start, so i used someone elses solution.

**however, i didnt just copy their work. use the help function, look up what the code does, and teach yourself that way. but dont spend 4 days as you said beating yourself up because that isnt going to teach you anything.

or alternatively if youre struggling on this a lot, move back to their objective-c book or even start with a c book. there are a lot of fundamentals there if you are new to programming

[quote=“mattskie”]use the help function, look up what the code does, and teach yourself that way. but dont spend 4 days as you said beating yourself up because that isnt going to teach you anything.

or alternatively if you’re struggling on this a lot, move back to their objective-c book or even start with a c book. there are a lot of fundamentals there if you are new to programming[/quote]

I’ve been wanting to learn how to do real programming for a while and the Flappy Birds guy inspired me :wink: I thought “If some non-native English speaker in a 2nd/3rd world country can slap something together in a couple of days, I can figure this out.” I got through the Objective C book fine and was able to figure everything out. I felt like this when I got to the Ch4 gold challenge, which hadn’t happened before.

I moved on and it’s making more sense as I move forward. Now that I understand how basic functionality of classes/methods that I’ve used repetitively work, the documentation is making a LOT more sense than it did when I started. The book stated if you get stuck, move on and it’ll make sense later. As counter-intuitive as it sounds, it seems to work so far.