Struggling restoring message Labels

Hi everyone!

My approach for restoring the label messages was to add each one of the messages to a NSMutable array once all of its properties are set within the drawHypnoticMessage:message like this:

[code]

[messageLabel addMotionEffect:motionEffect];

//Add the message to the messages array
[self.messages addObject:messageLabel];

}[/code]

Then, I used encodeRestorableStateWithCoder:coder to archive this array like this:

[coder encodeObject:self.messages forKey:@"hypnoticMessages"];
    [super encodeRestorableStateWithCoder:coder];

Finally I used the decodeRestorableStateWithCoder:coder to retrieve the array and add the UILabels to the view like this:

NSArray *messageLabels = [[NSArray alloc] initWithArray:[coder decodeObjectForKey:@"hypnoticMessages"]];

if (messageLabels) {
        for (UILabel *message in messageLabels) {
            [self.view addSubview:message];
        }
    }

[super decodeRestorableStateWithCoder:coder];

And the whole thing didn’t work… xD … I set a break point at the “encoding” stuff and notice the array is filled correctly when it is about to be encoded, but then I set another breakpoint to the “decoding” stuff and realize that there was no data coming from the decoding of the “hypnoticMessages” key… somebody knows why is this happening? please…

So it appears that when archiving with enableRestorableStateWithCoder a KeyedArchiver type is used for the coder but in decodeRestorableStateWithCoder a UIStateRestorationKeyedUnarchiver type is used for the coder. For some reason, the UILabel doesn’t appear to get decoded (as you’ve noticed) possibly due to the fact that a UIStateRestorationKeyedUnarchiver is used. I was scratching my head for hours on this since uilabel’s follow the NSCoding protocols.

To resolve this, I did the following:

• (void)encodeRestorableStateWithCoder:(NSCoder *)coder
    {
    [coder encodeObject:self.circleColor forKey:@“circleColor”];

NSMutableData *data = [NSMutableData data];
    NSKeyedArchiver *archiver = [[NSKeyedArchiver alloc] initForWritingWithMutableData:data];
    [archiver encodeObject:self.subviews forKey:@“subviews”];
    [archiver finishEncoding];

[coder encodeDataObject:data];

[super encodeRestorableStateWithCoder:coder];
    }

• (void)decodeRestorableStateWithCoder:(NSCoder *)coder
    {
    self.circleColor = [coder decodeObjectForKey:@“circleColor”];

NSData * subviewsData = [coder decodeDataObject];

NSKeyedUnarchiver archiver = [[NSKeyedUnarchiver alloc] initForReadingWithData:subviewsData];
    NSArray
    subviews = [archiver decodeObjectForKey:@“subviews”];
    [archiver finishDecoding];

for(UIView *view in subviews)
    {
    [self addSubview:view];
    }

[super decodeRestorableStateWithCoder:coder];
    }

Hopefully this helps someone!