To Storyboard or Not - 4th Edition

After going through Chapter 24 in the 3rd edition, transitioning to Mavericks and XCode 5, and undertaking to port an android app to iOS, I wonder how the authors’ “firm” opinion that Storyboards are not the way to go will be maintained? I have the 4th edition on order and of course, Storyboards have changed since the 3rd edition was written, but I wonder whether the 4th edition will recommend away from using storyboards as strongly as the 3rd edition did.

I also noticed numerous posts asking about this and it is quite disappointing that although there are no longer any beta confidentiality issues that BNR has not said anything on this issue, especially considering so many developers look to them for leadership and guidance.

So how about it guys? To Storyboard or Not?

I have just bought this book for iBooks. The book still uses xib files all the way through until storyboards are covered in chapter 28 at the end of the book.

Personally, I usually do use storyboards but I have to admit that my apps aren’t particularly complicated. BNR make the point that storyboards make easy code easier and difficult code more difficult. I’ll probably work through the book trying both xibs and storyboarding though thats more to do with me having to do things more than once before it starts to sink in. :smiley:

Either way I’m looking forward to diving in.

The book you just bought is about 2 years old. You should consider to research every opinion the book tells you. I wonder what they will say in the 4th edition, which should be out since october, but will, according to amazon, finally appear in march.

Let´s take the dot notation, for example. Great way to make otherwise difficult to read code more easy to understand. Look at

in comparison to

In my opinion, the second line is much better. See this persons opinion:
http://qualitycoding.org/dot-notation-wins/ and http://qualitycoding.org/dot-notation/

Same with storyboards. Apple has improved a lot. And it is possible to split up your storyboard into chunks, so even if you work as a team, you can avoid merge conflicts.
There are many opinions about that topic, and the choice is only up to you.
It is possible to use only code, as well as code and some nibs, as well as nibs and storyboards or nibs and storyboards and code or only storyboards or only storyboards and code. Up to you.
You can, at any time, replace something in the storyboard with some code, or the other way around.
You can also find a nice discussion about that topic here:
http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/software-engineer/better-code-no-time-like-the-present-to-use-xcode-storyboards/

Also, autoLayout in comparison to autoResizing, which the book teaches is much more powerful.
Look at an example of something that autoResizing cannot accomplish here:
http://www.raywenderlich.com/20881/beginning-auto-layout-part-1-of-2

The book I bought is the 4th edition. It has been updated for iOS 7 and XCode 5. It is available via iBooks even though Amazon still have not released it.

Sounds great.
Do you know the differences about the two editions? I consider buying the fourth edition as well.

And sorry for not reading exactly. But, my opinion remains, storyboards are not tought and discussed enough in the book. And seems like they are not really there in the fourth edition as well.

Hah, see: (quote from the book) „We have adopted a more modern style of Objective-C in this edition. We use properties, dot notation, auto-synthesized instance variables, the new literals and subscripting extensively. We also use blocks more.”

For me, that sounds like it is only one edition more, and they finally „use storyboards more"

I was waiting to hear from the BNR guys themselves - because they really went out and took the position that Storyboards are not the preferred or best way to develop for iOS and given what we have seen in XCode5 their opinion is not exactly inline with Apple’s direction :wink: So the question remains - is BNR walking back their position or is it the same? Or is it now some politically correct halfway pregnant position to keep the ministry of truth happy? (LOL)

Yes, like you say the new book embraces the new features of Objective-C like dot notation etc, but they still state that in their opinion, the cons outway the pros for storyboards. Consequently they use xib files for the whole book (except the final chapter).

BNR gives some reasons for their stance and I agree with some, disagree with others and some simply don’t apply to a solo programmer. As TAKeanice points out with examples, opinion is clearly divided but Apple are pushing them strongly. For me, personally I will use storyboards and wish they did feature throughout the book, though their absence shouldn’t overshadow the huge amount of other great stuff in the book.

Sad to see that mapkit and location services don’t feature in this edition but I suppose something had to give with all the new stuff.