Tool for UML diagrams

Hello,

I really like the UML diagrams in your Cocoa Programming book! They look very good and help to understand the relation between classes used in your projects. (now at chapter 11)
Don’t know if I am allowed to ask that question but what software did you use to create those diagrams? Is it an extension to LaTex?
If it’s an industrial secret then… yeah, ok. :wink:

[quote=“boerdy”]Hello,

I really like the UML diagrams in your Cocoa Programming book! They look very good and help to understand the relation between classes used in your projects. (now at chapter 11)
Don’t know if I am allowed to ask that question but what software did you use to create those diagrams? Is it an extension to LaTex?
If it’s an industrial secret then… yeah, ok. :wink:[/quote]

I have no idea which application was used to draw the diagrams (OmniGraffle maybe?), but I’m pretty sure LaTeX wasn’t used to typeset the book

Why do I say that? Well I’m not that deep into typography but you can easily spot “poor” typesetting systems by looking for (or the lack of them) ligatures (see en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Typographic_ligature)

For example, page 92, there’s the word “Difficult” with just looks ugly IMHO

Edit: Or “T able view”, “T aligent” etc., page 432, see nitens.org/taraborelli/latex#kerning

The diagrams were produced using OmniGraffle. (Well, a couple of them were done with Adobe Illustrator)

The book itself was done in Framemaker.

The iPhone book, on the other hand, was generated directly from DocBook XML.

OmniGraffle? Wow, think I give it a try.
Thanks for answering my question!! :slight_smile: