Trying to use XCode 3.2

I have a MacBook that is running Snow Leopard. I’m attempting to run through this book using Xcode 3.2 (Xcode 4 is Lion-only as I’m sure you’re all aware). Up till this chapter, I haven’t run into any issues. The only major difference I’ve seen thus far is that the newer versions of Xcode can use the @autoreleasepool {} option, where I have been using the NSAutoReleasePool class.

The section on object ownership and deallocation of objects worried me a bit. Am I going to run into issues (i.e. memory leaks, crashes, etc.) if I proceed further using Xcode 3.2?

Thanks!

This entire section isn’t particularly relevant if you’re using XCode 3.2, since it’s just a series of experiments to see how objects are deallocated under ARC. You could just skip it and continue on, or you could upgrade to Lion and XCode 4.2, which is totally worth it for $29, BTW.

As a heads-up, if you do upgrade to Lion, there’s a great little utility called MagicPrefs that’s a lifesaver on a MacBook, letting you restore the 3 finger-swipe app switcher gesture which was scrapped in Lion for some reason.

[quote=“jgelling”]This entire section isn’t particularly relevant if you’re using XCode 3.2, since it’s just a series of experiments to see how objects are deallocated under ARC. You could just skip it and continue on, or you could upgrade to Lion and XCode 4.2, which is totally worth it for $29, BTW.

As a heads-up, if you do upgrade to Lion, there’s a great little utility called MagicPrefs that’s a lifesaver on a MacBook, letting you restore the 3 finger-swipe app switcher gesture which was scrapped in Lion for some reason.[/quote]

The only reason I haven’t upgraded us because it’s a late 2006 MacBook (ancient, I know!) 2.0ghz C2D w/ 2GB of RAM. I have found a lot of mixed reviews about my machine and running Lion. It wouldn’t even be able to take advantage of the gestures. I have upgraded to an SSD recently, which makes it run like a new machine, but I’m just not sure how Lion would do and haven’t had the time to mess with it.

I guess the main question is: are any of the programs created in this book going to make my computer go haywire if I end up with a memory leak due to improper reference counting or other related issues?

Don’t update to lion before you don’t upgrade your RAM to min 4gig. My Macbook uses about 2.5gig RAM with Safari and Xcode. I think it would slow down your machine because of outsourcing data onto your hard drive.

Safari is a big “ram eater”, if you use one chrome/firefox window, and xcode4.x, you can use lion in your mbp with 2GB.

Regards.