Weakest point in the book so far (for me)

I’ve found the BNR IOS Programming book 3rd edition to be a valuable resource of information for me so far. I’m a professional software developer, but new to iOS programming, so I have no problem learning syntax, and when I read books such as this one, I go for the subject matter context more than anything. “Why is it done this way?” is the style I’ve appreciated in the book.

However, the Core Data chapter is the prodigal chapter so far. Case in point, on p. 325, under Updating BNRItemStore, the authors explain the complex relationships between NSManagedObjectContext, NSPersistentStoreCoordinator, NSManagedObjectModel, and the underlying database in a 6-line paragraph!

Really? Come on guys, you can do better than that. You’ve shown it in your other topics in the book. I know entire books are dedicated to the whole subject of Core Data, but the above relationships merit more than just a mere paragraph.

Thanks!

Sorry, but I have to say a few words in defense of the BNR folks.

Considering its price tag, you can’t expect the book to be perfect and to spoon feed the reader everything one has to learn.

You should read Apple’s documentation on Core Data if you are looking for something more profound.

The book held my hand in a LOT of topics, and I’m appreciative of that! I stand by my feedback, that is, that particular topic desrved just a mere 6-line paragraph.

I have to say that I agree with ZillaG on this one. I also am an experienced developer with more than 20 years experience. I have programmed with DB2, Oracle, SQLServer, ADO and ADO.NET. Objective-C is very different in how it manages db access and I was dismayed by the 6 line paragraph. The rest of the book has been fantastic, so why drop the ball here in what is a very important topic?

[quote]Objective-C is very different in how it manages db access and I was dismayed by the 6 line paragraph.
[/quote]
It is not Objective-C. It is the CoreData Framework, for which Apple provides excellent learning resources.

[quote=“ibex10”][quote]Objective-C is very different in how it manages db access and I was dismayed by the 6 line paragraph.
[/quote]
It is not Objective-C. It is the CoreData Framework, for which Apple provides excellent learning resources.[/quote]

My mistake. No doubt all of the same CoreData objects would need to be used if the code was written in c#.

The fact remains (and has been backed up by another thread in this section, I notice) that a lot of us think that the CoreData chapter is too brief. As for the Apple documentation, it is huge and as drily written as Microsoft’s. I have found that I once I have failed to find a solution to a problem in the Apple documentation, I find it in a couple of minutes at StackOverflow.com, which is a fantastic resource.

This logic is pretty absurd if you ask me. I am an absolute newb when it comes to programming. I read through Stephen Kochan’s book on Objective - C before I started this one so I wasn’t completely in the dark, but I’ve been extremely please with this book… up until this chapter. I’ve repeatedly heard people say in response to criticisms about Kochan’s book and this book that you can’t expect the authors to “spoon feed the reader”. What a derisive, pompous thing to say! People come to books like these because they want to learn the subject! I’m not ashamed to admit that when it comes to programming I AM like a baby on Gerber’s, bib and all, and I’ve been extremely thankful for how the authors have made this awkward learning process easy for me. This chapter was very discouraging though, because it was pretty difficult to fully understand the concepts.

ibex10, you say we can’t expect the book to be perfect, fair enough. I certainly wouldn’t refrain from recommending this book for simply one somewhat incomplete chapter, but at the same time it is not at all unreasonable for my expectation to be that reading these chapters will not waste my time and when a topic is not discussed in enough depth and detail that I cannot gain a fair understanding of that topic and must go to significant effort to find outside resources in order to gain that understanding, I’d say I’d wasted my time.

Still really do love this book. Glad to know others struggled with this particular chapter too and it wasn’t just me though.