Where do I find launch image? (Missing in Resources)

Going through Chapter 1, I am unable to find the “Default@2x.png” or “Default-568h@2x.png” files. I downloaded the iOSProgramming4ed.zip file, but it doesn’t quite match the book. There isn’t a folder called “Resources”. There is a folder called “00-Resources”, but no launch images are found in it. For now, I’m just creating my own simple launch image (640 x 1136 – as shown in Table 1.2) and moving forward in the book.

On a related matter: the “Icon@2x.png” file seems to be 114 x 114 instead of 120 x 120 and Xcode 5.0.2 is complaining about it being the wrong size for iOS 7 apps.

I think the iOSProgramming4ed.zip file needs to be updated to match the book, and then all will be good.

Thank you, —> Kelsey McClanahan

I also opened up the solution project for chapter 1 in Xcode 5.0.2 and navigated to Images.xcassets folder. Neither the AppIcon or LaunchImage image asset contains any graphic image.

I had the bright idea to copy the icon and launch image out of there, but the final solution project is missing them too.

—> Kelsey McClanahan

Just checked the zip file, it still hasn’t been updated yet, thought that it would have been updated by now. I have never written a book and couldn’t hold a candle to the authors. But I would think that the company who publishes a code book would have people testing the book and going through each step from page 1 as the buyer/user does, to see if anything is missing or if something is out of place. If they did they would have caught the missing launch images [Default.png ] right away.

Having the same issue, can’t find the launch image in the zip file. Also the AppIcon is the wrong size as stated previously. Hopefully they can upload a new zip file with the correct resources soon.

You can create a launch image of the app (if you have a device connected) by going into the Organiser window. Selecting screenshots and pressing “New screenshot”

You can then click “save as launch image”

The only downside to this it will show the carrier and signal bar at the top, which looks a bit strange when it loads over the top of the current time, however you can blank that out in photoshop or similar.

You can resize the image using preview, this is what you can do:
=>Copy image to different location
=>Open image with preview
=>Then go to Tools menu and pick “Adjust size …”, set it to 120X120 pixels and you are all set
=> Now drag and drop the image to your app icon screen and run the app.

Here is the few graphical assets missing from the Resources ZIP

1 - a resized 120px x 120px icon@2x.png -> http://cl.ly/image/1D3k1B0J3L1C
2 - cl.ly/image/2q1C2y1a2q2C
3- cl.ly/image/0R093U0T0C1U

Enjoy :slight_smile:

you rock @jackstryk !!

Thanks Devee for the tip. 120X120 pixels works like a charm. I didn’t know how to do that.

[quote=“deevee”]You can resize the image using preview, this is what you can do:
=>Copy image to different location
=>Open image with preview
=>Then go to Tools menu and pick “Adjust size …”, set it to 120X120 pixels and you are all set
=> Now drag and drop the image to your app icon screen and run the app.[/quote]

[quote=“nwemily”]The 00-Resources folder in the Solutions now contains new icons

Default-568h@2x
Default@2x
logo.png

and a new one for Icon@2x.png

as well as a folder called Project App Icons with nifty icons for the apps detailed in the rest of the book :wink:

I had not checked for a while, so I don’t know when the update came in.[/quote]

Sorry for the confusion with the Solutions. The link in the book (bignerdranch.com/solutions/ … ing4ed.zip) has been updated to include the relevant resources. Let me know if you still run into any issues!