Why is day not a pointer?

On page 83 where we’re calculating the day of the month we’re using day for the return value from ordinalityOfUnit:inUnit:forDate: but day is not declared as a pointer. I see from the docs that ordinalityOfUnit returns an (NSUInteger) not an (NSUInteger *). I’m struggling to understand why this is. What is day’s type? Can anyone help?

day is an unsigned int. So, not an object, but a C primitive type.

Ok. I see that now in the Quick Help inspector. I had assumed NSUInteger was a class. It seems a bit odd to have the same naming convention as classes or did I miss a clue somewhere? Or is it always necessary to determine for yourself what kind of a thing you are working with? Xcode certainly makes it easy to do that. I just hadn’t clicked on NSUInteger.

I’d be interested in that question as well. I was surprised the first time I chased NSUInteger to discover it was a typedef to a primitive type.

I did some digging, and while I haven’t found any indication of a naming convention yet, there don’t seem to be many of them. It’s possible that NSInteger and NSUinteger are the only two such types. See http://www.cocoadev.com/index.pl?NSUInteger for a discussion/debate over their utility.

Not directly related, but another link I stumbled upon that has some useful information on handling primitive types: http://www.informit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=1681071

A framework can include functions, typedefs, macros, classes, functions, and constants. In Foundation, all of these things start with an NS.

So, for example, NSTimeInterval is a typedef for double.

And NSUInteger is a typedef for unsigned long. (32-bit on 32-bit architectures, 64-bit on 64-bit architectures.)
And NSInteger is a typedef for long.

Do I think this was a great idea? No. But it is not uncommon for a library to make typedefs for standard types (OpenGL, for example declares GLfloat.) It might give you some extra bit of platform independence, but most of the time, I think it just confuses people.

I think Apple should have just used long and unsigned long.

Looking at the docs for NSInteger and NSUInteger it seems as if Apple is doing this to make the 64-bit transition smoother. Rather than think about what type of primitive you need you just use NS* and not worry about it.

Yes, that was the goal, but long would have worked just as well: It is 64-bit on 64-bit machines, and 32-bit on 32-bit machines; just like NSInteger.

[quote=“AaronHillegass”]A framework can include functions, typedefs, macros, classes, functions, and constants. In Foundation, all of these things start with an NS.

So, for example, NSTimeInterval is a typedef for double.

And NSUInteger is a typedef for unsigned long. (32-bit on 32-bit architectures, 64-bit on 64-bit architectures.)
And NSInteger is a typedef for long.

Do I think this was a great idea? No. But it is not uncommon for a library to make typedefs for standard types (OpenGL, for example declares GLfloat.) It might give you some extra bit of platform independence, but most of the time, I think it just confuses people.

I think Apple should have just used long and unsigned long.[/quote]

This information would be a valuable addition to the next edition of the book. As a beginner, I spent quite a bit of time trying to chase down the reason and your explanation cleared some things up almost instantly. Thanks.

Never assume while programming, always read the reference documentation. In Xcode, it is only one click away.

So this would work just as well:

I tried it. Seems to. But it’s probably better to use the NS versions of everything. In some cases you get class functionality, in a rare few others - you don’t?