Wrong arguments for DateFormat.format()

In Listing 21.4, it has

But I get an error for .format() saying I’m providing the wrong type of arguments (which in this case is a String and a Date), and looking up documentation for the DateFormat class, there’s three instances of format():

String format(Date date)
abstract StringBuffer format(Date date, StringBuffer toAppendTo, FieldPosition fieldPosition)
StringBuffer format(Object obj, StringBuffer toAppendTo, FieldPosition fieldPosition)

Has anyone found a workaround to this line of code? In the meantime, I’ve just been using “String format(Date date)” instead of what is shown in Listing 21.4

There are actually two classes called DateFormat - java.text.DateFormat and android.text.format.DateFormat. You want the latter one, not the standard Java one.

I could not get it to work either. So i have changed it into:

SimpleDateFormat simpleFormat = new SimpleDateFormat("EEEE, MMM dd"); String dateString = simpleFormat.format(mCrime.getDate());

Creating new instances of SimpleDateFormat every time you need to format a date can get very expensive. You can fix this by only creating one instance and sharing it, but then you run into another problem - SimpleDateFormat is not threadsafe.

Both of these problems are solveable, but this is why we recommend using android.text.format.DateFormat.format(…) method instead for simple formatting. I promise that it works fine. :slight_smile: