Xcode and ARC questions

I’m using Xcode 4.0.2 and the 2nd edition of your book.

Will my code/apps work on iOS 5.1?

If I move to Xcode 4.3 and enable ARC, will my code still work or do I have to remove my calls to retain and release?

The user reviews for Xcode 4.3 in the app store are abysmal, citing even more IDE crashing. Should I make the leap to 4.3? Big question I know but I can’t think of anyone I trust more than the Big Nerds. :slight_smile:

For the 2nd edition, I’d suggest staying on the previous version of of Xcode. The changes to work with ARC are much deeper than simply removing retain/release. Additionally, the templates change in 4.3, so unless you are really familiar with how the templates are created and the differences between them, you’ll have some issues. Of course, the third edition is totally updated for the current version of Xcode and iOS.

And I would ignore the App Store reviews of Xcode. I doubt real developers take to the App Store review page to comment on Xcode, there are much better channels for that.

Thanks, Joe!

I’m still learning and have no production code. I’ll pick up the 3rd edition and Xcode 4.3.

Mike