XML Parsing

Hi,

RSS feeds are relatively easy to parse and the SAX approach followed by NSXMLParser suits it.

But what if you were given some other website and were asked to fetch a information from it and populate your TableView, how would you go about it?

In my case, I am trying to develop an iPhone app for my University of Massachusetts. I got the news feed working.

Now I am on to next level where I want the app to display the Academic calendar information in a tableView.

The link is - http://www.umass.edu/registrar/gen_info/academic_calendar.htm

What parser will help me achieve this?

I am stuck here since last two days.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
S.

seems to me like you need to query the data via API using an NSURL … and the delivery format determines what parsing system to use. In the case of a webpage built with data and images etc … i believe you’re dealing with a formidable challenge.

As far as parsers of choice … on iOS5 it’s NSXMLParser and NSJSONSerialization (which i’m not familiar with yet), however i’m told there are several third-party libraries. Which to use again depends on your needs … but parsing webpages is not happening (yet) on iOS 5 that i’m aware of. Hope i’m wrong! :slight_smile:

It is not a HTML parser hence it doesn’t work on websites returning HTML content.

If the page were XHTML, you could still use the NSXMLParser. However, this page is not, so it looks like you’re relegated to one of the following options.

Use a 3rd-party library to clean up the HTML so that it validates as XHTML, then parse using the techniques from the book. It’s actually pretty easy to generate something akin to a DOM tree by hand using just a few lines of code using NSXMLParser, as long as the parser successfully gets through the whole document. I built the code for that and then ran into an error fairly quickly (a tag that did not close properly).

Use a 3rd-party library to parse the HTML as-is. I haven’t done this myself, but the best I could find with a little search-engine elbow grease was here: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/405749/parsing-html-on-the-iphone

Extract the stuff that you’re interested in by hand, using a combination of NSString utilities and NSRegularExpressions. This is probably more trouble than it’s worth, but it’s an option nonetheless.