Gold challenge - why is the content of the nav columns spaced strangely?

Hi all,

I am working on the Holy Grail layout challenge, and I have gotten it to what I would consider to be 95% of the way there by modelling the “Solved By Flexbox” website. On the left of the “ul” (styled with .thumbnail-item in css), there seems to be an extra 40px of padding that I did not put in the css. Please see the box model diagram in the screenshot…

In Chrome Dev Tools, I do see “-webkit-padding-start: 40px;” in the user agent stylesheet, but I do not know how it got there. Does this have something to do with the way flexbox draws elements on the page?

Thanks!

Mike

Hi Mike!

By default, many browsers have styling for <ul> tags that adds a left padding area for bullets. To get rid of it, you should be able to add styling like this:

.thumbnail-list-left {
  padding-left: 0;
}

Or you could add a thumbnail-list class to both the left and right thumbnail lists, and change the above CSS code’s selector to .thumbnail-list to make a reusable class. Either way has merits!

~ Jonathan

Hi Jonathan,

Thanks for your response. Actually, I misspoke. It looks like there is mystery content in both nav columns (in “blue” in Dev Tools) that is messing up the spacing. See screenshots - any ideas?

Thanks, Mike

Hi Mike!

It’s a bit tricky to tell from that particular screenshot; here are a couple possibilities:

1. The otter list items could have a margin-right that is expanding the ul container.
  2. The thumbnail-lists could have a width, min-width, or flex value. For example, if you have flex: 1 on them, they will expand to take up 1/3 of the available space. Try inspecting the styles of the thumbnail-list-left/right and look for flex related properties.

Hi Jonathan -

Hmmmmmmm. The .thumbnail-list-left and .thumbnail-list-right selectors had flex properties of flex: 0 0 12em;
If I change the flex-basis to 10em, it seems to look a lot better, but this does not sound like a stable solution - more like how it looks on my particular screen size at the time. I have included the relevant css selectors here - not sure what else I can do… Thanks for taking the time to look at this interesting problem.

Regards,
Mike

.thumbnail-image {
    width: 100%;
    display: block;
}

.thumbnail-item {
    min-width: 120px;
    max-width: 120px;
    border: 1px solid rgb(100%, 100%, 100%);
    border: 1px solid rgba(100%, 100%, 100%, 0.8);
    display: inline-block;
}

.thumbnail-list-left, .thumbnail-list-right {
    flex: 0 0 10em;
}

.thumbnail-list-left {
  order: -1;
}

.thumbnail-list-right {
  order: 2;
}

Hi Mike,

The flex: 0 0 10em; line may be causing the trouble; to let the sidebars use their “natural” size, disable that flex line, then make sure you have flex: 1 on the detail-image-container.

This will tell the browser that when there is extra space, it should just flex the detail-image-container rather than touching the thumbnail-lists.

Hi Jonathan -

I disabled that line in the css and I have flex: 1 on the detail-image-container. Here’s what I get - something’s not right… Any thoughts?

Regards,
Mike

Hmm, could you screenshot it when you still have the inspector open? Your media queries for your larger layout are probably taking effect now.

Hmmmmm. The media queries were commented out. Here is the screenshot. Thanks…

Regards,
Mike

I think this shows a different problem: before, your media queries enabled a vertical version of the sidebar (thumbnails are stacked on top of each other instead of from left-to-right). See if you can get the vertical stacking back (usually display: block) instead of left-to-right layout.

Good thought, but that produces no change. CSS is hard!!! :slight_smile: