Testing Objects with XCTest in Command Line app

Hi,

Sorry if this is the wrong forum, but I am using the book and got distracted with an interesting function and topic…

Although XCTest is not included in this book (although I am only at Chapter 20), I noticed discussions and examples on forums about XCTest for unit testing. The Cocoa examples and testing tutorials worked fine. So I thought I would try adding a testing target to the command line tools project for the BNRPerson class in the chapter challenges. However its not proving easy to do, so I decided to create a new test project Chapter20 just in case I messed up something.

I added BNRPerson class files to the new test project and got that running fine from main.m. I then added a test target called Chapter20Testing, and proved I could perform the test against the test example added by default, all fine. However, if I import BNRPerson.h and write a small test function I get the following error when I perform the test:

Undefined symbols for architecture x86_64:
OBJC_CLASS$_BNRPerson”, referenced from:
objc-class-ref in Chapter20Test.o
ld: symbol(s) not found for architecture x86_64
clang: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)

Clearly there is some missing setting somewhere to pull in the BNRPerson in to the linker for the product test, but I haven’t got a clue where to look. I was wondering if command line tools aren’t capable of using XCTest, but some google searches say otherwise.

Help please if you can…

-Paul

Well, I am not convinced it is setup correctly as it seems a bit convoluted compared with the iOS testing tutorial, but…

I had to manually tick the test target box for BNRPerson.m, so it was included in the command app tool AND the test cocoa target. But also I need to specifically change the scheme from the target scheme to the test target scheme or vv, plus select Build for running or test as appropriate. Numerous iterations back and forth now work. When I have caught up with my Chapters I will return to this and play a bit more! :slight_smile: