Troubles with dereferencing a null

I am having a little trouble with this section…
i thought the if statement needs an expression like <,>,= etc. to make a true/false decision.

if (ftPtr) { printf("Storing %.0f to the address %p\n", feet, ftPtr); *ftPtr = feet; }

what is the if statement evaluating?
thanks.

An if statement needs an expression to test the value of in order to decide what to do next.

In your example, the expression is ftPtr, a simple expression.

if (Expression) Statement
if (Expression) Statement else AlternativeStatement

If the value of the Expression is not zero, then the if statement executes the Statement.

For example:

Print 1:

int bit = 1;

if (bit) {
    printf ("1");     // this statement gets executed because bit is not zero
}

Print either 0 or 1:

int bit = arc4random_uniform (2);

if (bit) {
    printf ("1");
}
else {
    printf ("0");
}

The important thing to know is what constitutes an Expression. Simple expressions can be combined with operators to form a compound expression.

if (bit > 0) {
    printf ("1");
}
else {
    printf ("0");
}

[quote=“howdydoody2”]I am having a little trouble with this section…
i thought the if statement needs an expression like <,>,= etc. to make a true/false decision.

if (ftPtr) { printf("Storing %.0f to the address %p\n", feet, ftPtr); *ftPtr = feet; }

what is the if statement evaluating?
thanks.[/quote]

If I understand it correctly, a good way to think about it is

if (this is a thing / exists) {(/*then do this*/); *the thing* }

So if the thing in parenthesis is an actual thing, then it will execute what’s next. So it checks to see if *ftPtr is an actual thing, that it exists, and as long as it does, it will print the string that was written out.

I was confused too at first. Tested this code out myself and its a lot clearer to me now. Hope this helps.

int g;
if(g){
printf (“g exist \n”);}

Does not print

int g = 1;
if(g){
printf (“g exist \n”);}

Print - g exist