With SELF or without SELF?

Hi, I am learning iOS Programming with your book (3rd edition) and I have several questions.

1. for example I have @property … circleColor and @synthesize circleColor… then in your book
    you use

which, without any modification just do this code

- (void)setCircleColor:(UIColor *)clr { circleColor = clr; } in other words: it just assings given value to circleColor property,
so what’s the difference if I call that code like this?

and then just use my circleColor property?

1. in this line

what if I call that method with

when we really need to use SELF and why it’s so important?

Thank you for your answer and your great book!

Your questions relate to some fundamental concepts and especially the distinction between setting the value of a property directly and setting it indirectly, which is covered in the Objective-C Programming Book.

Directly:

Indirectly, by invoking a method:

In your example, you are invoking the setter method setCircleColor:

[quote][code]

• (void)setCircleColor:(UIColor *)clr
    {
    circleColor = clr;
    }
    [/code][/quote]
    If you wanted to do other things beside changing the color of the circle, then you can code accordingly inside the setter method:
- (void)setCircleColor:(UIColor *)clr
{
    circleColor = clr;
    [[NSNotificationCenter defaultCenter] postNotificationName:@"My Circle Color has changed" object:self];
}

Now whenever you invoke this method to change the color of the circle, the method not only changes the color but also sends out a notification automatically.

[self setCircleColor:[UIColor redColor]];
[self setCircleColor:[UIColor greenColor]];
[self setCircleColor:[UIColor blueColor]];

But if you change the color directly, then you will also need to manually send out the notification:

circleColor = [UIColor redColor];
[[NSNotificationCenter defaultCenter] postNotificationName:@"My Circle Color has changed" object:self];
circleColor = [UIColor greenColor];
circleColor = [UIColor blueColor];

As for the keyword self, it always appears inside a method and refers to the object on which the method is invoked. A method is always invoked on an object; if a method that is invoked on an object wants to invoke another method on the same object then it needs a way of referring to that object, and the keyword self makes this possible.

Thanks for explanation!