"button clicked" doesn't show when button is clicked

Pardon all the noob postings – I’m just learning Xcode and Swift and the way things are done is just so alien to me. I’m trying, though!

For others coming here, if you get to p. 21 (Fig. 1.24) and you find that clicking the Generate Password button doesn’t do anything, it may be because you didn’t do the control-drag correctly from the button to “File’s Owner”. (I learned this the hard way). To fix things, do the following three things:

To undo a bad link: Do the instructions at the bottom of p. 21. That will delete the link and let you try again.

To prevent the “Stop RandomPassword?” error message: Don’t stop the Password Generator program by closing it (i.e., by clicking the red button in the upper left corner). It won’t fully terminate that way. Instead, stop the program by clicking anywhere on the Xcode window and clicking Product > Stop.

To make a proper link: Click the Generate Password button on the form one time. If you do this correctly, you should see handles (small squares) on the sides of the button (see Fig. 1.22). Hold down the Ctrl key and keep it pressed down. While holding the control key down, drag the button to File’s Owner. You should see a blue balloon move up to File’s Owner. Release the mouse. Release the Ctrl key. You should see the black dialog box shown in Fig. 1.22. Click “generatePassword:” and you’re done. You should be able to run the program now.

I am following the steps in the book (my version of Xcode is 8.1 and I am using swift 3) and I am stuck. I cannot get the button clicked text to appear in the textField. When the app builds I see the following output in the console.

2016-11-08 21:09:16.914 RandomPassword2[5344:883350] Failed to connect (textField) outlet from (NSApplication) to (NSTextField): missing setter or instance variable
2016-11-08 21:09:16.914 RandomPassword2[5344:883350] Failed to connect (window) outlet from (NSApplication) to (NSWindow): missing setter or instance variable
2016-11-08 21:09:16.915 RandomPassword2[5344:883350] Could not connect action, target class NSApplication does not respond to -generatePasswordWithSender:

I am in noob stage and I don’t understand why the IBOutlet and IBAction are not functioning properly. Is this the result of an improper connection or do I need a setter or instance variable as the console suggests?

Are you sure you executed the instructions in the book carefully?

Yes, I even went back and did the project a second time as RandomPassword2 to make sure that I didn’t miss something. Both produced the same output in the console window.

Posting your code will make it easier to diagnose the problem.