Swift-ify the code

At the top of page 186, the could be written in a much more Swifty way:

func validateRaise(raiseNumberPointer: AutoreleasingUnsafeMutablePointer<NSNumber>, error outError: NSErrorPointer) -> Bool { if let raiseNumber = raiseNumberPointer.memory as NSNumber? { return true } else { let domain = "UserInputValidationErrorDomain" let code = 0 let userInfo = [NSLocalizedDescriptionKey : "An Employee's raise must be a number."] outError.memory = NSError(domain: domain, code: code, userInfo: userInfo) return false } }
Explicit tests for nil when optionals are available is not a recommended Swift pattern.

Cool! :sunglasses:

I got for a Swift-2 style:

func validateRaise(raiseNumberPointer: AutoreleasingUnsafeMutablePointer<NSNumber?>) throws {
        guard let _ = raiseNumberPointer.memory else {
            throw NSError(domain: NSCocoaErrorDomain, code: NSKeyValueValidationError, userInfo: [NSLocalizedDescriptionKey: "An employee's raise must be a number."])
        }
    }

(I don’t like making variables that are used exactly once. I just inline the result.)

Before the “_” variable name, I still used “raiseNumber,” and the utilities area of the Xcode window confirmed it was a “NSNumber” (without the question mark). I also later confirmed my recollection that there was an existing error domain & code for this problem. I don’t know why custom ones were used in the text; maybe the authors forgot?