Any plans for a 5th edition?

I’ve been with this book since the 2nd edition and it has been a great reference & resource for my class. As with any documentation, particularly Android, it quickly becomes deprecated/obsolete and needs revision. There are several key updates that have been identified and solutions are being posted here (apologies for the self links).

Plus components/features to add back in:

• ViewPager2
  • Preferences
  • Non-single fragment activities

With Android 10 & 11 there are updates for:

• Notifications
  • Permissions

Another option is to add a segment on Jetpack Compose.

I’m sure there are many other possibilities and the danger is a 1,000 page book that includes everything to date.

Eric from BNR here. To answer your question, yes we are planning a 5th edition of the Android book. It’s our goal to release the edition before the end of 2021, probably in December.

While I can’t speak to what specifically will change, we are aware of areas where the book needs work and will look to address those as we get toward a release.

1 Like

Wonderful news!

I had posted prior to the 4th edition, but I’d love to get involved in assisting in any way possible. As either a contributor, tester, reviewer, etc. I have converted much of the book to work with ViewBinding, NavGraphs, Paging, etc.

Please feel free to reach out.