Status of iOS Programming 7e

Hello everyone!

I wanted to provide an update on the status of iOS Programming 7e. COVID-19 continues to have impacts on stocking and shipping, which has impacted the release of our 7th Edition. Here’s the good news: the eBook is currently available from InformIT here!

The not-so-good news: because Amazon is (rightly, in my opinion) prioritizing health care items and other essential home goods, our book may not be available in print or for Kindle for some time. We are in contact with Amazon, but we unfortunately do not have a timeline for when they will make the book available. Further, we’re not totally sure when the print edition will be available from InformIT, but it’s likely it will be available there first.

All that said, we continue to be really excited about this edition, as it represents the culmination of a lot of hard work, care, and thoughtful craft. I’m happy to try and answer any questions you might have.

Happy coding!

3 Likes

Great news, thanks! At least one good piece of info in such a situation.

1 Like

I pre-ordered from InformIT for the ebook/print combo in early April. The printed book shipped on Wednesday and now says on UPS vehicle for delivery today. The ebook still says pre-order when I log in to informIT. Hopefully the ebook will be available soon!

That’s great news @bitmaker . Strange about the eBook. I checked this morning, and it looks like the eBook is available.

Update: Good news! It looks like the print book is now available via InformIT.

Still no update on a timeline for Amazon.

Happy coding!

Amazon sent me a shipping notice today, the book should be arriving Wednesday. Their web site is showing it as In Stock now.

1 Like

Is there going to be an update for working with Xcode 12 and the new Swift UI designer?

With regard to Xcode 12, are you having specific issues that need to be addressed? If so, perhaps we can help address them here.

With regard to SwiftUI, we are starting work on a SwiftUI course in January of next year and plan to start teaching SwiftUI in the summer. While we do eventually plan to release a book, it will be some time before that is ready. If you want something to sink your teeth into in the meantime, I might recommend checking out our Swift Programming 3rd Edition where we have devoted an entire new chapter to SwiftUI.

1 Like

Please correct me if I’m wrong, but there aren’t any storyboards or Interface Builder in Xcode 12 when you use SwiftUI as a project template. When adding library objects to the view you’re supposed to drag them into the swift code in the View struct, and then the preview displays what you’ve built. Are we supposed to use only non-SwiftUI templates?

That’s correct. This book doesn’t do anything with SwiftUI, it’s all done with Storyboards.