The Versions are driving me crazy

WARNING-I am an absolute beginner in the Android world.

I want to work through the Android Programming (4th Ed.) book. I noticed at the very beginning that it uses Android Studio 3.3.1, so I downloaded and installed that version. It also starts off by creating a simple Kotlin project. I’ve followed the instructions down to the last letter (at least I think I have) and I can’t seem to get past the following error when the project builds:

MainActivity.kt

“Some Kotlin libraries attached to this project were compiled with a newer Kotlin compiler and can’t be read. Please update Kotlin plugin”

This message is followed immediately by “No updates found”

Down in the build window, I see the following:

“C:/Users/…/…/.gradle/caches/modules-2/files-2.1/org.jetbrains.kotlin/kotlin-stdlib-common/1.6.21/… very long message…”

at the end it says:

“Module was compiled with an incompatible version of Kotlin. The binary version of its metadata is 1.6.0, expected version is 1.1.13.”

One last fact:
I had recently installed a much more current version of Android Studio on this same system but then removed it and installed this older version (3.3.1) to follow along with the book.

Please remember that I am an absolute newbie in this world so please help me understand what I need to do to get a simple Kotlin project to work.

Many thanks,

rivers

1 Like

Hi,

I’m sorry to see you are having issues with all this. Android development can be a lot for people just jumping in. There are so many versions of libraries and tools and it can be difficult to try to keep them in alignment. Even worse, when problems like this arise, they often give gibberish error messages that don’t help point you in the right direction to solve the issue you are having.

I tried downloading Android Studio 3.3.1 and getting a basic app up and running, just like you, and I kept running into weird issues too. I thought that I might be able to make a few small changes to get things working, but each problem I solved brought 3 new ones. At this point, I think the easiest path forward for you is to use the latest version of Android Studio. There will be points where the screenshots in the book won’t match what you see in Android Studio, but please feel free to make new posts here in the forums and we can help you out.

Best of luck.