Time to build Quiz?

How long should it take to build Quiz and run it on the simulator?
It is taking around 10 minutes on my machine to run the version of Quiz with just the two labels and two buttons. Seems absurdly long.

Using:
Xcode 12.0.1
macOS Catalina ver 10.15.7
3.6 GHZ Quad-core I3

How much memory do you have on that tiny machine?

On a “16GB 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7” mac mini, it takes about 8 seconds for the simulator to cold start and for the application to run.

8 GB

Bruce Emo
303-552-6121
bruceemo@icloud.com

It is very likely that you are running out of memory, and processes are page faulting. You can check this by running the Activity Monitor.

1. Xcode and the simulator not running

2. Xcode and the simulator running

Thanks,

I’ve attached just the screenshot with Xcode and the simulator running for my system since I can only use one attachment. Memory used was 3.7GB with them not running.

Took 40 sec to build, 7:20 total by the time it ran on the simulator. Memory used was 6.01GB max during that time.

Does it make sense to try to go to 16GB memory? Apparently I need to bring it in to upgrade memory on this particular Imac.

Bruce Emo
303-552-6121
bruceemo@icloud.com

It definitely makes sense to add more memory, at least 16 GB. You will see the difference.

But if you can afford, for long-term investment, get a machine with an i7 processor, with at least 16 GB of memory, and with 512 GB of SD storage.

Grim forecast: One day even the 16GB of memory is going to be barely enough :frowning:

I have an i5 iMac with 8 GB of RAM and I’m not seeing the times it takes for Bruce to build these apps. It does take a bit for the simulator to boot, but I’ve never timed it because once it does, subsequent code builds are pretty quick.

Thanks again

I’ve ordered 32 GB memory, price wasn’t much more than 16. Not quite ready to buy a new system yet.

Bruce Emo
303-552-6121
bruceemo@icloud.com