UIView animation documentation

I think learning how to use the documentation is one of the hardest challenges in learning iOS Programming. For this chapter the first task is to open the documentation for UIView Animations. Unfortunately, it looks like the current Xcode 10.2.1 help documentation is different enough from the steps given in edition 6 of this book that I’m having a hard time understanding what the book is trying to get us to.
The book is asking us to get to the class reference for Animations under UIView. How does one do that with the current Xcode help?

I see that it’s easy to get to Protocol UIViewAnimating, but that looks very different from the information in Figure 8.1.

What am I missing? Thanks!

You are not missing anything. It is just that the book you are reading is probably not compatible with the version of the Xcode you have.

The documentation for animation topics is now under UIKit User Interface Animation and Haptics.

1 Like

Thank you very much! The first step is finding the appropriate documentation!

As I mentioned in my original question, I think that learning how to find and then use the appropriate documentation is one of the hardest skills to master.

Along this line, may I ask follow-up?.. I see that the updated Xcode page is under UIKit -> Animation and Haptics (again, thank you for the lead); however, what if I didn’t know that? If I type in “animation” in the search box, the suggested referral is “Core Animation”, with no reference to the page that I think we wanted.
If I type in “UIKit Animation”, I get “NSValue” as the suggested reference with again no reference to the desired page, but a secondary reference to “UIKit”, which does have “Animation and Haptics” as a User Interface.
If I type in “UIKit Animation Properties” I don’t get anything useful.

It looks like you need to know where to look and that search doesn’t help.
Is there some way of thinking about how to efficiently find documentation for topics that you are not already familiar with?

Documentation is currently in a state of flux. There are no hard and fast rules for finding out what you need; you need to keep looking with determination.

Sometimes you may even find yourself going in a loop, leaving you feeling frustrated. But as the saying goes: no pain, no gain. :slight_smile:

Yep! Right now, I find that google searches are usually more helpful than trying to find the answer in Apple documentations. I’m sure that will change as I get more knowledgable. Thanks again!