Computer Science Books

Hi all,

Im looking for some top quality books on the fundamentals of computer science, in order to study where objective c stemmed from.
Any suggestions?

It would be of great help.

I doubt that you can find that information in Computer Science books.

Objective-C stems from C: It is C with extra syntax and runtime machinery for object-oriented programming.

It definitely has influenced objective c. If anyone knows of any books let me know!

ibex10 can you recommend any amazing C books?

My most favourite book: The C Programming Language by Brian W. Kernighan and Dennis M. Ritchie.

Use wikiPedia :smiley:

If you are looking for a book about C, this is undoubtedly the one and only book.

If you are looking for something a bit more ‘Computer Sciencey’ (but still in the realm of programming) “The Art of Computer Programming” Volumes 1 - 4a by Donald Knuth are still the classics.

Thank you one and all!

:smiley:

If you are interested in the history of Objective-C (and object-oriented programming) then I highly recommend this issue of Byte magazine. Not only was it highly influential in popularising object-oriented programming

[ul]“Special Issue on Smalltalk”, BYTE, vol. 6, no. 8 (1981) (available online at archive.org/details/byte-magazine-1981-08)[/ul]

…but it also inspired Brad Cox and Tom Love to take the ideas of Smalltalk

[ul]Smalltalk-80: The Language and Its Implementation by Adele Goldberg and David Robson (1983) (available online at stephane.ducasse.free.fr/FreeBoo … uebook.pdf)[/ul]

…and create what we now know as Objective-C

[ul]Object Oriented Programming: An Evolutionary Approach by Brad Cox (1986)[/ul]

Regards,

Andre